IV Relief for Food Poisoning
November 02, 2019
Have you ever had food poisoning? It starts with a vague discomfort and then becomes more defined as the toxins start to disrupt your digestive system. Before long, queasiness has given way to vomiting as your body's defense system attacks the toxins that have been released into your body. Before it's all over you will have spent a lot of time in the bathroom and probably vowed never to have that food again, or go to that restaurant. Food poisoning is truly unpleasant and can lead to serious conditions, so you'll want to get fast relief.
Foodborne bacteria cause 48 million illnesses and 3000 deaths each year in the U.S. alone. Different strains of foodborne illness have different ways and time frames of manifesting symptoms. Some illnesses manifest symptoms within a couple of hours while others can take days to produce signs.
Some types and causes of common foodborne bacteria
- Shigella (fecal contamination of food and water)
- Listeria (ready to eat foods, like cold cuts and cheese)
- Vibrio (raw seafood)
- Campylobacter (contaminated water, uncooked food)
- Salmonella (2300 types: undercooked food)
- E. Coli (uncooked beef)
Food Poisoning Symptoms
Like with many ailments, the symptoms that you experience with food poisoning are a function of your immune system attacking the poison. Although the symptoms are unpleasant, one of the biggest threats of food poisoning is actually dehydration. Like many digestive issues, the nausea and diarrhea associated with food poisoning are more troubling because of their dehydrating effect. Without proper hydration, many aspects of the body don't work well, compounding the effects of the initial problem. Moreover, dehydration can effect cognitive functioning, rendering you foggy and less effective. Dehydration can manifest not just as extreme thirst, but also as dry mouth, no urination, dizziness or lightheadedness.
The key to the effective treatment of food poisoning is, therefore, getting hydrated as quickly as possible. Now, one way to do that is to drink water, lots of water. However, there is a better treatment for food poisoning. It involves getting rehydrated quicker than you can by drinking water, and by adding a couple of ingredients, making that rehydration not just quicker but much more powerful.
Our IV infusions for food poisoning provide great relief by injecting fluids directly into the body, which results in absorption rates that are at least twice as fast as merely drinking water. In addition, our special IV fluids contain ingredients that reduce toxicity and inflammation and promote healing -- fast. They include Toradol, an anti-inflammatory that relieves headache and pain, Zofran an anti-nausea agent and Pepcid for heartburn relief. These agents works much faster than if taken orally and let's face it, when you have food poisoning you're main goal is to get it over with as quickly as possible.
Get Medical Help (including our IV food poisoning remedy) if you have:
- Bloody stools or vomit
- Diarrhea for more than three days
- Extreme pain and/or abdominal cramping
- A fever higher than 101.5
- Sings of dehydration
- Dizziness or blurred vision
- Tingling in the arms
Steps to avoid foodborne illness
- Clean. Wash hands, cutting boards, utensils, and countertops thoroughly.
- Separate. Keep raw meat, poultry, and seafood separate from ready-to-eat foods.
- Cook. Use a food thermometer to ensure that foods are cooked to a safe internal temperature: 145°F for whole meats, 160°F for ground meats, and 165°F for all poultry.
- Chill. Keep your refrigerator below 40°F and refrigerate food that can spoil.
- Don't cook or handle food for others if you have diarrhea or vomiting.
- Most of the foodborne diseases are infections that are caused by a variety of bacteria, viruses, and parasites Food can also be contaminated by toxins and chemicals.
Rapid Food Poisoning Relief
You can get rapid relief with our Revive IV food poisoning treatment. Call to talk with a physician and set up fast and convenient at-home IV treatment. Yes, getting treatment in the home not only allows you to stay in the comfort of your own surroundings but means there's no waiting in hospital or doctor waiting rooms while feeling wretched. Our IV food poisoning treatment gives you rapid relief without leaving your home.
Schedule An Appointment
« Back to Blog | The I.V. Doc Information on Dehydration, Jet Lag, Hangovers, Food Poisoning and Vitamin Drips